- Read your Coastrek Pocket Guide. This will be emailed to all teams a few weeks prior to event day and will be handed out at the Top Tips briefing night for those who attend.
- Read the T&Cs. Ensure you have agreed to the Risk Waiver and accepted the T&Cs prior to Event Day or you will not be allowed to participate (most of you agreed to these when you completed your registration)
- If you have any last minute team changes, after COB TBC March, please complete the Team Member Change Form prior to bib collection.
- Check your start time listed on your Team Dashboard
- Download the MAPS.ME app to your phone for both you and your support crew. Click HERE for instructions to download the app
- Please ensure you have completed your online registration and all your contact (including emergency contact) & medical details are up to date. You can check these on your dashboard account.
All team member bibs will be mailed to the Team Captain approximately one week prior to event day.
Team Captains, please ensure your mailing address is up to date at least 3 weeks prior to event day to ensure they are mailed to the correct address. Don't forget to bring your teams bibs with you on event day.
What if you forget to bring your team bibs? We will have a small number of spares available on event day just in case.
Sydney Coastrek has various start wave times with limited capacity to ensure the route and facilities can cope. Please respect that this is for your own safety and the safety of fellow trekkers, and stay in your designated wave time. If you miss your wave, please speak to a staff member to ask about starting in the next available wave.
When the team captain registers they'll have a choice to select the available start wave times for your event. All nominated team members are automatically given the start wave selected by their team captain. Registered team members can log in to the website and view their start times on their dashboard tab.
Please be aware that your start time could vary slightly from the time originally selected. If this is the case, you will be notified closer to event day and it will be updated on your dashbaord.
Coastrek does not provide transport to participants on event day – logistically there are too many variables to be able to offer this. We recommend that all teams have a support crew (especially those taking part in the 60km event) who can help with transport to and from the event starts.
There are independent transport options for those that don’t have a support crew:
Check out this Transport NSW page to plan your trip: https://transportnsw.info
60km Event, Maroubra Beach (Marine Pde):
It is suggested to be dropped off by vehicle here, in the carpark on the corner of Fitzgerald Ave and Marine Pde.
There is plenty of parking available if your support crew would like to wave you off.
30km Event, Rushcutters Bay Park (New Beach Rd):
There is no possibility to park at this location. It is highly recommended that all participants arrive via public transport.
There are plenty of bus and train options. Edgecliff train station is an 8 minute walk and Kings Cross station is a 12 min walk.
Plan your trip at https://transportnsw.info
There will also be a drop-and-go zone located next to Rushcutters Bay Park on New Beach Rd for those who need to arrive by vehicle.
15km Event, Taronga Zoo (Bradley's Head Rd):
There is limited parking in the surrounding streets. Please arrive via public transport. Taronga zoo is well served by buses - plan your trip via link above.
There will also be a drop-and-go zone located near the entrance to the zoo.
Yes there is a Bag Drop at each start:
- You can leave 1 small bag per team only.
- Label with name, phone, bib number
- No valuables - bag may be unattended
- Collect from Finish Line Timing Tent - note that there will be no security watching your bag
You should aim to be self-sufficient during Coastrek as we will supply only basic light refreshments at the staffed Luv Stops. Plan to carry enough food to cover hourly snacks to keep you topped up while you walk, then get additional supplies at cafes along the way (during normal business hours). If you have support crew they can carry food for you and have it waiting for you when you meet them!
We require you each to carry a hydration pack with a 2-litre capacity bladder and a 600ml bottle for mixing electrolytes if used. Water stations will be available along the route at the Luv Stops and there are taps at other locations and shops to purchase water. BUT remember your safety is your responsibility – be prepared to expect the unexpected!
Once you have registered you will have access to e-books with more tips, including nutrition advice.
There are staffed checkpoints, otherwise known as Luv Stops, on the 60k & 30k routes. At these points, you will be required to pass through the timing pad to register the chip on your bib. You must present the whole team together at these stops. Please see your Pocket Guide or online digital map legend for your Luv Stop locations.
Yes! For morale and safety reasons, teams must start together, travel together and finish together. T.E.A.M = Together Everyone Achieves More!
For us to help take good care of you, you MUST contact the Coastrek HQ (contact number on your bib) immediately if you or any team member are withdrawing. Failure to do so means your team will not be eligible for an official placing in the results and we will send out a search party for you, which could be embarrassing. If a team member gets injured, take them to the nearest hospital or to an open Luv Stop if they need First Aid. If a team member cannot be moved, one person must stay with him/her while the other goes for help.
In case of emergency (e.g. serious injury, breathing difficulty, bushfire) you must call 000. If you have a non-urgent medical issue, please contact the First Aid Team (the contact number will be on your bib) and they will assist.
If your team is reduced to one member during the day, they must link up with another team and walk with at least two other registered trekkers, for safety purposes.
Ensure your support crew use the MAPS.ME app to have a detailed version of the route.
Your support crew can meet you as many times as you like when it is safe to do so, and where public access is allowed. Support Crew cannot transport you along the route by vehicle unless you have officially withdrawn from the event by texting the HQ number on the back of your bib.
Suggested meeting points for the 60km event (first 30km section):
This section of the route is very urban and easy for support crew to stop at various locations including anywhere along quieter roads, parks and surf clubs. It is suggested to choose somewhere with existing toilets which are all marked out on the map. The LUV Stop on this first section is located at Christison Park, Vaucluse.
We do not suggest your support crew meet you at the Rushcutters Bay LUV Stop (30km mark), as it is too difficult to park around this area.
Suggested meeting points after Rushcutters Bay Park (30km and 60km event):
- Milson Park or Anderson Park in Kirribilli
- Cremorne Point Wharf/Reserve
- Reid Park or Mosman Bay Wharf, Mosman
- Sirius Cove Reserve
- Bradley's Head (Small carpark at the end of Bradley's Head Rd)
- Clifton Gardens LUV Stop (entry off Morella Rd) - plenty of parking, charged at $8/hr
- Anywhere at the end of Middle Head Rd - there is a carpark right at the end of the road, past Middle HEad Oval, which trekkers walk past
- Balmoral Beach - plenty of cafes and toilets along here
- Rosherville Reserve/Chinamans BEach, Mosman - just before the go over the Spit Bridge
- Clontarf Reserve - highly recommended as the last fully accessible support crew stop before the finish line as there is plenty of parking, toilets available, and a cafe (during business hours)
As this is a fundraising event, the major prizes are awarded by The Fred Hollows Foundation to the top fundraisers. Top fundraising team each get a bespoke 9ct gold piece of jewelry (pendant or cufflinks for men) from Larsen Jeweller valued at $1,000 each.
Fun-See-Dress: Best team costume wins!
Other Prizes and Awards
All participants who successfully complete their event will receive a Coastrek medal on the day! A digital Team Certificate will be available online after the event. As an Eco-Friendly event, we will not be distributing paper certificates on the day.
While Coastrek is NOT A RACE, we acknowledge & provide certificates to teams who finish fastest in each event category, and who have followed these conditions:
- Start at the correct time with all 4 team members registered;
- Raise a minimum of $500 for The Fred Hollows Foundation per team member
- Cross the Timing Strip at each Luv ? Stop and at South Head as a complete team of 4
- Follow the specified route –as depicted on the digital map
- Finish with the same 4 team members you started with
Note: If you finish with less than 4 people in your team, you can still receive a finish time, medal, and online certificate but you are not eligible for a line honours placing.
Teams will be notified once the results have been confirmed.
We rely on the integrity of each team to participate in the true spirit of Coastrek and raise $500 per team member, as well as complete the route as marked on the day.
We will provide the Results link on the web home page and below. The 2019 results will go live on Event Day so your supporters can track you!