If Wild Women On Top, the event organisers, deem the course unsafe (for example by reason of heavy rain, lightning, high winds, bushfires, ‘acts of god’) we may, at our sole discretion, re-route the course, find an alternative shortened course or cancel the event. Organisers also reserve the right to cancel the event for any other reason which may include but is not limited to terrorism or war.
If the event is cancelled, re-routed or shortened, no refund of registration fees, fundraising monies or transfer to another event will be made. Due to the scale of the event, the bureaucratic complications and travel commitment involved by competitors and volunteers, the event will not be re-scheduled to any other weekend.
Please download these Terms & Conditions which give a detailed overview of the rules and guidelines associated with Team Transfers, Event Day procedures, Support Crews, the Route, Safety and Fundraising.
Read our Safety-First chapter available in Resources covering everything you need to know about being safe on Event Day to help you have the best experience.
FOR NON-LIFE-THREATENING ISSUES - GET FIRST AIDERS
First Aiders will be at each Luv ♥ Stop – for minor issues come to the first aid area
If you need help on the course follow these steps:
- Call or text Coastrek Emergency Phone who will arrange help - number on back of bib
- If you can’t get through and you’re in doubt of severity call 000
- Call your support crew if they can assist
- If you do leave the course you/your teammates must advise HQ - number on back of bib
LIFE-THREATENING ISSUES - CALL EMERGENCY SERVICES
- Call 000 (you must tell them you are part of Coastrek event and which city)
- Call the Coastrek Emergency phone number on your bib and advise what has happened
Phone numbers will be on your event bib and save them to your phone. Remember! One person must stay with the injured person while the other/s get help. Focus on making the injured person comfortable and reassure them help is on the way.
NOTE: As with any such activity, there are hazards and risks associated with the Coastrek. Wild Women On Top recommend that, at minimum, you have ambulance cover in case of emergency during the event.
Emergency Evacuation / Change to course
If there is an event emergency / dangerous weather / danger on the course (for example by reason of heavy rain, high winds, bushfires, "acts of god"), the event organisers in their sole discretion may attempt to re-route the course, find an alternative shortened course or cancel the event.
You will receive an SMS alert from the event organiser or be directed by route marshals. Time is of the essence. Most particularly think of a fire situation. Use your digital event map, with location services turned on, on your phone, and zoom in to find the nearest trail / road to get you out into an urban area.
Electrical Storm / Lightning
In the event of an unexpected electrical storm, seek shelter:
• in a 'hard top' (metal bodied) vehicle or solid building but avoid small open structures or fabric tents.
• If far from shelter, crouch (alone, feet together), preferably in a hollow. Remove metal objects from head/body. Don't lie down flat but avoid being the highest object in the vicinity.
• If your hair stands on end or you hear 'buzzing' nearby, move immediately.
• At night, a blue glow may show if an object is about to be struck.
Avoid the following:
• Lone trees, rocks, rock overhangs, mouths of caves
• Metal Items: Set aside any metal items such as hiking poles
• Water: Ocean, harbour, heavily soaked ground, and small pools of water
Remember the 30/30 Rule: Count the seconds between when you first spot lightning and when you hear thunder. If it is less than 30 seconds, take action immediately. Once you have heard the last rumbling of thunder, to ensure the storm has passed, wait for another 30 minutes before continuing on your way.
The Wild Women On Top Coastrek subscribes to a “Leave No Trace” policy of bushwalking. This requires all rubbish to be taken out and trekkers leave only footprints. Please adhere to this and help us keep our coastline as stunningly beautiful as nature intended it! Waste facilities will be available at the Luv ♥ Stops and there are plenty of public garbage bins along the route.